This was a reasonably straightforward process but along the way I ran into some minor roadblocks, all of which I eventually got past. I'm going to spell out in some detail what steps I went through for the benefit of anyone else who might want to do the same thing.
Although I was using a virtual machine to install my tt-rss server, these steps should work just fine for a normal, non-virtual ubuntu server. I this work using Ubuntu 13.04 which already has a version of tt-rss available via apt-get. However I found it easier to work with and configure the newest version of tt-rss from tt-rss.org rather than install tt-rss using apt-get.
It's probably not practical to actually run tt-rss on a virtual machine all the time but I did this as much as a learning process as anything else.
Step by Step:
- Creating the virtual machine. ( skip this if you are not using a virtual machine )
- Installing Ubuntu ( skip this if you already are running Ubuntu )
- Preparing the machine for tt-rss
- Completing the tt-rss install using a web browser
- Importing feeds from google reader. (coming soon)
- Accessing tt-rss from the internet. (coming soon)