Friday, February 22, 2008

searching for free file storage

I'm looking for free file storage. I don't need much space - for now all I want to do is to make some patches publicly available. I tried pasting a patch directly into one of these blog entries but that didn't work due to formatting restrictions ( some things that looked like HTML were rejected).

Tried yahoo briefcase but that didn't allow for free public sharing of files.

Tried xdrive but I wasn't even able to set up an xdrive or an aol account. Probably could have if I kept at it but the fact that account creation seemed to be in poor repair was a bad sign.

Tried snapdrive.net. Account creation was a breeze but uploading/managing files is very slow and results in blank screens and in fact may never have worked.

Looked at filesanywhere.com . They want you to log in every 60 days to maintain a free account. I'm going to look elsewhere for now but may come back to this one.

Found this review of online storage sites: http://www.techcrunch.com/2006/01/31/the-online-storage-gang/

Looked at omnidrive.com but their site was very slow - couldn't even register.

Tried out mediamax.com - the best so far. However the one file that I have uploaded has not appeared in my file manager yet. Their page said something about processing time so maybe there is some delay. Going to keep looking for now.

Tried esnips.com - very nice but does not provide for direct linking to uploaded files. Other than that seems good - fast, easy to use, etc. May come back to this one.

Tried openomy.com - This one seems perfect! Simple, and fast.

No comments: